Monday 12 September 2011

Help! My Scones Won't Rise

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to my brother, who wrote my first ever guest blog! His photos were amazing and from here on, he will be taking photos for my blog when he can!

On a sadder note, I made a batch of scones today that, once again, didn't rise! I've tried everything from cutting them smaller/bigger/thicker, Delia to BBC Good Food, adding more/less cheese, the lot!



Here, I used the recipe from the BBC Good Food channel and I followed the recipe word for word and yet mine look nothing like theirs do! I did get 20 out of a recipe for 8-12 but this surely cannot be the reason as mine were cut out at 2cm thick like instructed!


Someone PLEASE help me?!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your scones look ok to me.Your story another proof we shouldn't beleive everything we see on TV:))I think you could ask your mum or granny...Cheers;)

Jo said...

It's so disappointing when things like that happen. My Granny's scone recipe is always the best for me, everytime I have tried a different one the scones haven't turned out right. I'll be making scones in a couple of days time so will most likely write up the recipe if you fancy having a go!

Rachael said...

Please make them soon, my boyfriend loves scones and I forever disappoint!

The Caked Crusader said...

Do you twist the cutter when you cut them out? That can "tear" the sides and inhibit rising?

Do you glaze them and let the glaze run down the sides? Again, that can stop them reaching their full potential?

These are the two things that sprung into my mind - hope they help

Rachael said...

I think I may do in order to get the cutter away from the dough! And as for the glaze, I just brush it on the top, I had no idea it would affect it! Thank you :)

Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad & Mixed Veg said...

Scones. I've had no luck with them either. My oven isn't very good and the recipe told me to stop cooking them when they were golden brown....they never turned golden brown. They just stayed anemic looking...but they did taste ok:)

Brad67 said...

I tried the same recipe and the scones came out like fat digestive biscuits. Well I noticed most other recipes on the web had an egg in the milk mix and used self raising flour. The recipe on that link has no egg and plain flour. I'm going to try another recipe from Nigela tomorrow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...